Monday 25 October 2010

Invictus

Invictus.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever Gods may
be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumst
ance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of t
he shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me
unafraid.

It matters not how strait the
gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my sou
l.

William Ernest Henley
This is by far my favourite poem. Ever. It just lifts me up whenever I read it, especially the last paragraph.



'I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.'


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave your thoughts and comments.