Wednesday 25 May 2011

Life is the greatest teacher

I was going to wait until after my exams before posting this but I just gotta get it out now. 

I'm in my second year of Uniiii-verrrr-sityyyy!!! I'll be finished in two weeks and before I know it I'll be starting third and final year. How friggin' scary?? All you people going through uni will know what I'm on about! But that's not what I want to talk about. I want to talk about what I've learnt. Second year has been very different to First year. First year was fun. Fun fun fun, as Rebecca Black would say. If I had to sum it up in three words:
- Freshers
-Parties
- Only 40%


And then second year comes along. Different. It has been different. I didn't realise it at the time but my gosh I have learnt a thing or two about life. Life, you know?
- People change. Some for the better. Some, unfortunately, for the worst.
- Friendships can be transient.
- People really are not what they first seem. Even your 'friends'.
-Despite that, you will find good friends in the places you never thought you would.
- People are not as strong as they make out to be.
- Do not, I repeat DO NOT, rush into things if it doesn't feel right.
- Say what you think and stand your ground (I'm still working on this one!)
- Everything happens according to God's plan, not yours.


I'm a pretty laid back person and I tend to see the good in people. Even when everyone else sees the 'real' them, I'm the one to stand there and say 'ahh, come on guys, you're being too harsh.' They weren't. They were right. But life is a great teacher. Never again will I trust someone so easily. Never again will I allow myself to be 'used', 'walked on', whatever. Even if it is to avoid drama. You have to know yourself and if a friendship just seems 'tiring' then it really isn't a friendship (in the truest sense of the word) after all.


Saying that, treat everyone with respect. You really can find friends in the places you thought you wouldn't. You may think you're all set with your friends but what about that girl, or that guy you say 'hi' to everyday but don't really know. 


Everybody struggles in life. I struggle. You struggle. The guy on TV struggles. I guess what we don't realise is that we could be standing next to someone, or even be friends with someone who may be completely broken on the inside. But we just wouldn't know. And vice-versa. Although sad, I think it's amazing. It shows that we have history, a past, that we are real, not just living and passing through life. Don't you hate it when you're getting to know someone new and you realise that all they have to them is what they show to the world. That there is nothing else there, that they are a bit one dimensional? I can't stand that. It may be that you just don't connect but you can always tell when meeting someone that they have something special about them, they have character.


Say what you think and stand your ground. If you're like me this will be hard. My thoughts seem to get stuck halfway through my brain and my mouth. I get flustered, I don't know what it is I'm exactly trying to say. Conversations happen so fast, everybody's in a hurry. In a rush. People don't have time to listen if you're not quick enough. But that isn't an excuse really. I need to learn to get my words out.


And finally, you could plan to be the next big thing while God plans for you to work the average 9-5. Who do you think is choosing, really? God has his plans, we just gotta follow them. And they happen, whether we like them or not I guess.


I feel like I'm growing up, finally. Growing up is hard but man, life is the best teacher. Someone could tell you all you need to know about life and love and everything in between but until you experience it, you wont fully understand. 


'Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards'  Albert Einstein




4 comments:

  1. I kind of know what you mean about things changing, it happens so fast sometimes i wish i could stop time and just breath then press play again.. and people pretending to be perfect and all.. i guess some are just afraid of being rejected for what they are, or they don't find their life interesting enough..
    It's tough to learn through experience sometimes but it has to happen, and when it does, it stays. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesss exactly!! we need time to stop and take it all in I think lol.
    Yeah that is true about people, it's hard to know if they are being genuine or not. I think it was probably easier in school because you were growing up with them whilst at uni, everyones has pretty much 'become their own person' already.
    Thanks for your comment! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in my third year of uni, its worth every minute of the hard work in the end! flies so quickly in the end. best of luck xx

    www.thegypsyandthefox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey keep your head up! Been there and done what you are going through....well not everything because your experiences are tailor fitted for you....I should say i have had similar experiences.
    The good thing about what you have experience is that you are aware of the leasons that you learned from life and have knowledge of those that have changed and pretended to be someone other than who they are.......Most people have not even began to figure that out thats why those people will continue to make the same misstakes and get burned over and over again.

    sorry so long but i had to give you a shout out for doing your thing regardless of the ups and downs.

    In your spare time check out writings2read.blogspot

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave your thoughts and comments.